Thursday, September 20, 2007

Narrow Road

I met a young rich ruler today. This kid has all the tools, giftedness and abilities to help the Bible-less peoples receive the Word of God. I don't know everything that is in this kid's heart or what God is truly calling him to do. I just know that this kid claims that God has "shown" him that God wants him to work in the private sector rather than become a missionary.

Most times, I try to give people the doubt. I really do. I know not everyone is called to this work. However, when I asked this kid if he would pray about supporting a missionary through this God driven calling he "turned away because he was a man of great wealth."

My heart hurts for the people in waiting--those people who are waiting for the Church to complete the task. There are no two ways around it. I am often haunted by the fact that I have been blessed to be a part of a people group who has received God's Word. Who am I Lord that you allowed your blessing to fall upon me?

The thing that tears me up is that so many people don't give a flying crap. They really don't. They say they do but when the rubber hits the road, they would rather have a new pair of shoes and a nice yard. I have asked God to give me a more patient heart. I know that I didn't always "get it" and that God was so very patient with me (praise God for his wonderful mercy and grace!) But now I can't help but see the world through the lenses that God really does want to save ALL PEOPLE and that He really meant it when He said that He doesn't want ANY MEN to parish.

If we fail at this work, generations that follow us will shake their heads and ask, "Why didn't you do something?"

If we do fail, I don't want it to be because we didn't try.

No comments: