Saturday, February 27, 2010

In Awe of the God Who Is


Words are fleeing me as emotions and thoughts run rapidly through the vastness of my simplicity. How does one articulate the grandeur of God when all expressions and descriptions seem to fall short of the undefinable and unimaginable? How can I begin to share the wonder and awe I feel in this moment for the God who allowed me to stumble into His Holiness?
In my study of the book of Revelation, my view of God has expanded beyond my depth of insight. While I may not be the most astute theologian or informed exegete, my love for our God has side-stepped my hesitations of what I don't understand. My thirst for His righteousness is beginng to unravel my pettiness and short-sightedness. Worship mixed with gratitude runs wild in my soul. Who is this God of Wonder that He should reveal anything to me at all? Who am I that I have been allowed to read the words of this revelation in the language I understand best while millions upon millions have nevered been allowed the opportunity to read a single verse of God's revelation? This tragedy grieves my soul.
Through reading and reflecting upon this book, I continually find myself awestruck of this loving Father who continues to extend opportunity after opportunity to His children to come back to Him and to complete His mission. One cannot read this book and not see a wounded Lamb who sits victorious over all things.
We are shown a beautiful picture of how to remain faithful to Him who is Worthy in a faithless world. We are given a bird's eye view of what is to come and the role we are to play in making sure everyone receives this Story. Somehow, we lose sight of momentous endeavor and horde and ignore it altogether.
As I sit here on this Saturday afternoon, I also find myself afflicted by the glimpse of how tragic humanity's rejection of this God is. Names, pictures and memories from both near and long ago remind me that some people would rather have the rags of this world than the grandeur that God extends in His perfect love. Some would rather bask in the stupidity of fools than accept the Wisdom of the one who was, who is and will forever be.
The one thought that keeps reverberating through my head is "when will men come to their senses and surrender that which we can't obtain for the wonders of life lived in abundance?" How long must we sing this song? But then I am reminded of perhaps the saddest line in the entire Bible, "The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent." This is the ache that stings my soul. Some people simpl do not want God.
May God use us in all our shortcomings, fears and failures to be a blessing to those who otherwise would have no hope.

No comments: