Thursday, July 20, 2006

Worth Fighting For



"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine The Crisis December 23, 1776

I am currently reading 1776 by David McCullough. This is a fascinating account of George Washington and The Continental Army's struggle to win independence in 1776. This book has been a great encouragement in that it has reminded me that anything worth doing is going to be difficult and is going to require sacrifice.

As I read Thomas Paine's words, I couldn't but wonder if I am merely a Sunshine Missionary in the service of our Lord. Will I pick up and run at this first sign of struggle? Will I only trust God's provision in the summers of my soul? Will I continually serve our Lord through the winters of our discontent?

I believe our goal of giving every single person in every single tribe in every single people group the Word of God is a cause worthy of giving our lives to...and I believe that it is a noble cause worth living for. I believe that God wants all of His children around the world to come to know Him. I believe that God wants to accomplish this goal through the proclamation of scripture...and I believe that he wants my family to follow his call wherever it leads us.

The line that keeps reverberating in my soul is Paine's comment that "what we obtain cheaply, we esteem too lightly." I think God allows support raising to be so difficult so that we will come to have complete trust in him at every step of the way.

My humble prayer is that we will stay the course and that no summer soldiers will be found here.

5 comments:

miah said...

You may not be a Sunshine missionary, but in my book you will always be a Rainbow missionary. love, miah.

A boy named Toadie said...

The funny thing is that this is the second time that someone has called me a Rainbow missionary. The first came during a self-defense course that I took where the instructor referred to us as
"Rainbow bright, we are the world, love everyone sugar cookie missionaries."

His description was longer but applicable all the same.

Anonymous said...

Nathan, I continue to be blessed by your blog. I love the pictures, I often laugh out loud, but I especially appreciate the entries like today's and yesterday's that make me think or you put into words something I was already thinking about. I want you to know that I have used more than one of your blogs for staff meeting devotion material. love, A. Carol

A boy named Toadie said...

A. Carol,

Thanks for the encouragement and for reading my blog. It is always fun knowing that there are people out there in the blogosphere reading.

soebeck said...

A good book you should check out (if you are into history) is "Fallen Angels." Great book (if you like that kind of thing)!