Friday, October 24, 2008

Illinois Tour 2008


After our three-week tour through Illinois, I thought that I would be writing to tell you how great it is to be home. While there are so many aspects of Dallas that I truly love (my co-workers, my church and friends), I also know that a big part of my heart will always consider the Midwest as my home. There is just something about those beautiful fields of gold, the plethora of Illini fans and people who know what deep dish pizza is all about that brings great solace to my soul in a way that no other region of the world can.


At the same time, through my travels around the world, a piece of my heart gets left everywhere I go. I have truly felt at home in the savannahs of Guinea, the slums of Haiti, the deserts of Kenya and the bitter winds of New England. Each time, it is because of the friends I have made in these places. As I shared with Lindsay how foreign the idea of "home" has become, she reminded me that as sojourners in this world "our hearts will never fully be at home until we are with God in eternity."


While one of the toughest parts about this job is being away from so many people we love, I also know that there is nothing else that we would rather be doing than working to expand the Kingdom of God. We know that what we do in this lifetime will echo into eternity.

Because of the work that we are doing (together with you), there will be people from every tongue, tribe and nation who will make their home with God. I can't imagine how great that reunion will be when all of us are standing around the throne of God celebrating the Lamb who has taken away the sin of the world. I also can't imagine a better way to spend a life. Thank you for partnering with us to help peoples from every language on this planet make their home with God.

Highlight of the Trip:
I got to meet Steve Saint. It is always a great day when you get to meet one of your heroes.

Quotes from the trip that must be shared:
"How about the next time that we stop, you guys just leave me in the car?" -Addy
"Jayden and I have birthdays that are close together but we aren't twins." -Addy
"How much will I get paid if I join you guys?" -unnamed student

1 comment:

Sara said...

Toadie,
People in SW Missouri think I'm crazy when I say that Illinois is beautiful! We midwesterners have to stick together!
Great to see pictures of your family! Hope all is well.