Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When God Says No

Sometimes God tells me, "No". He never says it harshly, rudely or even with the slightest bit of hostility --but at the same time, God still tells me "NO". I know there are teaching moments to be had and further examination of my motives, but I must admit, it surprises me everytime.

Last night, I prayed hard for God to allow Jayden to sleep. Almost on cue, she woke up screaming. This is the 4th night in a row in which we have gone through this process. Whenever Jayden is stressed, it always comes out in her sleep. Most of her inability to sleep has come from our long road trip across Illinois in which we have slept in more beds than some people have teeth.

As I lay rocking Jaydenpants, I asked God what I am supposed to be learning through these sleepless nights. God then gently reminded me that He never promised us that He would give us everything that we want. Sometimes, life is hard and we need to remember that we are not God. God also reminded me of His faithfulness in all the times that He DID allow Jayden to sleep on this trip. As I reflected on these times, it was always in times that would bring about His greatest glory.

This got me to thinking about prayer. God gently reminded me of Jesus' words in John's gospel where Jesus says, "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." I was reminded how I am quick to remind God of the first part of this verse and then conventiently leave off the latter.

If I were to be honest, I generally bring more glory to God when I am awake during the middle of the night praying, singing praise songs to God as I rock my baby girl back to sleep. Maybe God allows the interruptions to allow me to draw close to Him.

Then in a moment of mercy, God allowed Jayden to fall asleep --she didn't wake up until 6am.

God is good --all the time. Even when he tells me, No.

No comments: