"The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits acquired during the first half." -Dostoevski
As I read this quote yesterday, it got me thinking about the man that I want to be during the twilight years of my life.
I hope I develop the habit of...
listening well. I want my visions to be guided by God's gentle calling. I want my wife and children to always feel like they can come to me with anything on their heart.
letting scripture dictate my decisions.
responding to others with grace.
allowing myself to be interupted by the needs of others. I am continually amazed by the numerous times that Jesus allowed himself to be interrupted by the needs of others.
taking time for the renewal of my soul.
eating healthier and exercising more frequently. I am currently on a diet that I hope turns into a lifestyle.
being a life long learner.
assuming the posture of humility over pride.
an ideology that my money is God's money.
seeing the world through a global lens.
loving my wife before myself.
being a follower prior to being a leader. I know this one goes against everything that we are ever taught, but as I look at scripture it appears to me that Christ calls us to follow him a lot more than he urges us to lead others.
patience. We used to always joke about not praying for patience but I know that this is an area that God truly wants to do some reconstruction.
being a God lover. If I may borrow a section from St. Patrick's famous prayer (sometimes caled the breastplate). I hope that I develop the habit of
"Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,Christ on my right, Christ on my left,Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,Christ in every eye that sees me,Christ in every ear that hears me."
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think what you wrote at the end is the key --the Holy Spirit changing us. The more I think about Spiritual Formation and discipleship, the more I am convinced that the only changes that will ever occur is a direct result of the work of God's Spirit.
Thanks for continuing the dialog.
I also hope I get better at grammer...and spelling...and being handsom
Jamie,
Here is a connection if you want to see the rest of the prayer. http://prayerfoundation.org/st_patricks_breastplate_prayer.htm
If this doesn't work, just google the prayer of St. Patrick (it is also called the Breast plate).
Post a Comment