Sunday, August 21, 2005

We were only freshmen

"For the life of me, I can't remember..."

No, really for the life of me I can't remember how the rest of this song goes. I know it had something to do with freshmen and the guy singing it really couldn't remember anything about it either. That's all I know.

This weekend is our annual freshman orientation. Its hard to believe but this year marks the 10th freshman orientation that I have been involved with. In many ways, this year has been one of the best. One of the highlights of the weekend was getting to teach one of the morning Sunday School classes. It was an absolute blast! The kids were so engaged and hungry to learn. Going into this lesson, I was nervous about whether or not I would be able to connect with them. There is nothing worse than having a bunch of incoming students walking out of your class with that "man, does that guys suck!" look on their faces. They still might have felt that way but at least they were nice about hiding it.

One of the things that we now do is break the freshmen into small groups. This is different from their SFGs or the groups that they get into for advising. I don't know what it is about the group that I have this year, but I absolutely love them. This afternoon, we played 4-square together as a team building activity. Believe it or not, this was my first time playing. I had no idea how fun it is. I'm not really sure how 4-square came to be a part of freshman orientation, but one thing is for sure...it must never be removed from the schedule--ever. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a real competitive game but I and my small group were playing for keeps. We played like poet warriors. We played liked Scottsmen (kick in Braveheart music here).

Anyhow, at the end of the match...one of my freshmen guys turns to me and says, "I am the Will Perdue of 4-square." I thought that was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.

Maybe the fatigue is getting to me or I am just going senile in my old age, but I don't remember a whole lot about the year that I was a freshman going through orientation. I remember going to Little Galilee and doing those faith leaps...only to have been part of the group that dropped Jeff "Homeschool" Taylor. I still swear that it wasn't our fault. The dude totally buckled his knees and fell like a cannonball. You can't catch that. The funny part in the whole thing is that Matt "More Red" than you and I, promised him that he wasn't going to fall and that we would catch him. I think that probably marked the end of Jeff ever trusting us again. Jeff, if you are out there in radio land, I am truly sorry...but it was Omar's fault.

I also remember Kellie Owens (Woodford) breaking her arm...or was it getting cut...or was it a pack of sabertooth tigers? Hmmm. I don't know what it was but I remember she had to go to the emergency room.

And then there was my first Wal-Mart run. A couple of guys from the Hole asked me if I wanted to go to Wally World and I decided that this would be a good time to meet people. When I got into their car, I was greeted by Sandy Patti. Followed by a discussion about whether she or Margaret Becker was better. What the crap!

No seriously. Lindsay just called me to go help her. Addy just pooped in the tub. Doh!

I have to go.

9 comments:

miah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
miah said...

If you ever criticize the music I was rocking out to in my car again--when, out of the kindness of my heart, I offered you the chance to hang out with an upperclassman--I will seriously kick your lily white ass.

miah said...

I deleted my first comment because it was offensive. Sorry.

g13 said...

i remember taking you to see chasing amy our freshman year. that was a mistake.

A boy named Toadie said...

Miah, thanks for the description of my posterior.

Gentry --we didn't stay too long for that movie though. If you remember, we walked out within the first 10 min. and went and saw that Jon Cusack movie. That was also the night that you introduced me to Caedman's Call. For the life of me, I can't remember the place where you and i met. I know I used to come over to your dorm and hang out but I don't know how we started our friendship. Man, I'm a jerk.

g13 said...

that's right, we went to see grosse pointe blank. i still love that movie. and, as long as i'm in the posture of confession, i love chasing amy as well. when it comes to kevin smith i can't help myself.

i don't remember where i met you either. but that whole first year was a blur. i cannot believe that was ten years ago...i'm going to have to blog about that transition at some point in the future.

there were many times at lcc when i questioned whether i could endure the experience. now i look back on those years as some of the best of my life. weird, huh?

Jennifer said...

Oooh 4-Square! Did you play "Singles, Doubles, and Gotchas?" Were you King? Did you allow "popcorning?" Man, my sisters and I used to play for hours on Summer evenings with all the neighborhood kids!

Mandy said...

dude, i thought i was the only one who hadn't played 4-square before! i got made fun of BIG TIME by my freshmen, by Chantell, by Matt Clark, etc. turns out it's a pretty easy game, and i was pretty good at it!

i have had a blast w/ my freshmen group this year...i think it's been so much fun! i love them!

A boy named Toadie said...

Jennifer --I am pretty sure we just played the remedial version. Anything more advanced then once bounce would have only confused me.

Mandy --I think you should have spiked the ball at the people that were making fun of you while shouting, "I got your 4-Square right here!" When in doubt, I always resort to violence.