Wednesday, August 24, 2005

When Freeze Tag Goes Bad

So I am on my way to the Chapel to update some of our SFG records when I look to see two students chasing after each other. This in itself is not that unusual (in fact, it would be more awkward if someone weren't chasing after somone). As I am watching these two guys run around the yard, I come to realize that they are playing tag. Then out of no where one of the guys yells out, "Hey Toadie is a Holer, let's get him."

To which I said, "Let's not get him!" This is the part of the story where I wish sound judgement would have kicked in and that I had not picked up a rock and chucked it at the student.

Right as it left my hand, I knew that it wasn't going to be pretty. As I replay the scene in my head, I can almost hear myself yell, "Ooohh NOoooo!" Don't worry, I missed the student by 10 feet. However, to my chigrin, I nailed the glass door of the Hole and broke it into a gazillion pieces.

So I did the natural thing....I ran.

Ok, I lied about that. I just wanted you all to like me. I'm not really sure what the worst part of the whole ordeal was. It could have been...

1). When I had to call up my wife and tell her that I am basically working for free the rest of the week and that Addy is going to have to get a job.

2). When I had to call the head resident and tell them that I threw a rock at a student and nailed their front door..."yes, I am a faculty member. No, I don't think it was the wisest decision. Yes, I do think that I am a dumbass. No, I don't think that is the way that a responsible person is supposed to act. Yes, I do plan on paying for it. No, I wouldn't want our students to follow my example." (ok, none of this conversation happened either but a story about mercy isn't half as funny).

3). Having to tell our head maintenance guy, Freddie, that I broke the window. The whole time I was describing the game, my strategy for defending myself, the errant throw and my bad fortune; I felt like I was talking to my dad.

I guess the good news is that I got a good story out of the whole ordeal.

1 smal size rock (roughly $.10)
Breaking a big freaking door ($137.68)
trying to connect with students (priceless)

4 comments:

Mandy said...

asd;lfkjaweoriuaegnj

i was awaiting this post.

i'm sorry to laugh about it, but it's so funny. and seems like something i'd do.

A boy named Toadie said...

It seems like something I would do too...wait...I did. Once again, when in doubt, always resort to violence.

A boy named Toadie said...

You can take the Boy out of the HOle but you can't take the Hole out of the boy.

flowergirl said...

that's hilarious. :-) thanks for making me smile on a dreary afternoon.