Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Hall of Fame

I am sad to announce to everyone that I was once again looked over by the Football Hall of Fame. Please do not send me any cards, flowers or calls of condolence. I promised myself that I would be brave today and not cry. I was pretty bummed last year when I didn't get the call but I wasn't really anticipating that I would be a first ballot inductee. However, with Dan Marino going in this year, I thought that I was a lock.

I don't want to toot my own horn but I was one of the most influential members of those great Holer teams of the 90's. Just by my presence on the field, I brought out the best in all of my teammates --when I missed a tackle, my teammates realized that they had to play that much better because Toadie can't tackle. When I would drop a pass, our quarterback knew he had to be that much more precise in his passing. When I would run the wrong way on a kickoff, my teammates knew that they had to form the wedge that much better.

I know the Hall of Fame looks at a person's overall career rather than just a few games but I should have been inducted strictly on the fact that I called one of the all-time greatest upsets in sports history. I had the prophecy that Motiff would come one day and that he would deliver us in battle. Sure he only played one down that lasted about 15 seconds, but that was some of the most inspiring 15 seconds of football that I have ever seen. Even though Ben Dile had 7 sacks, Jeremiah Smith had 15 tackles and Aaron Bird threw for 3 touchdowns, everyone agreed that Motiff was hands down the MVP of that magical season.

And then there is the game that the sportswriters have labled, "The Catch...and the Fumble Recovery." It was my freshman year of the Holer-Titus game. Back in those days I could actualy run without having to sleep in an oxygen tent the next day...and I was somewhat fast...for a guy who wears husky pants. I remember the play as if it were yesterday. I lined up on the far end. Aaron Bird lined up in the shotgun position. He looked over at me and gave me wink... I then winked back. He then told me to quit winking at him and told me to go long. As I stepped to the line, no one was covering me. Titus was in a zone defense...or they thought that I sucked so bad that they should double team somebody else. I took off as fast as my chubby little legs would carry me and I was all alone. Bird stepped back and threw a deep bomb right into my hands. I remember my roommate Chuck yelled, "Oh!" And then he yelled "Oh no!" 3 seconds later when I fumbled the football.

4 comments:

soebeck said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

no seriously.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I love this post. Oh, the memories. All I know is without me, there would have been been no Motif. I am the one that started the tradition of naming incoming holer freshman. I remember that day like it was yesterday... (insert wayne's world switching ending sounds here)

We were in the hallway laying around like people about to die of starvation. Ron was playing my acoustic guitar, and I had just called out a "fat-guy roll call."

I then blurted out, "Can we call an incoming freshman Hobert?"

Man, that was a good day.

A boy named Toadie said...

Jamie --I totally forgot about that day that I saved you from SoeBeck's terrible teaching skills. I don't know where you learned how to play the game but you were one of the best powderpuff football players I have ever seen.

SoeBeck --You were a good powderpuff player too. ha ha hahah
I forgot all about those afternoons in which we would lay around in the hallway half dead. I'm not really sure how that started but I always loved how Ron would sit around saying, "Man, I got to get me some face."

Your comment about Hobert reminded me of the Holer awards when you kept yelling, "You suck Hobert!" after every award...and I mean every award.

miah said...

toad, you left out the greatest play ever! remember when you crippled me with your windmill stiffarm that somehow had your elbow connect with my throat and i couldn't talk for a a month? best month of your life as i recall.

anyway those were the days...makes me want to bust out some nasty blue sweat pants just for old times sake.

my favorite moment was almost stopping the game because amos and the titus dorm dad kept fighting. ahahahah...

A boy named Toadie said...

Miah--You brought back some fond memories. Where else in the world will a bunch of guys go and beat the crap out of each other then at the end of the day go out to eat...ok, besides most rugby matches and staff meetings.