This past weekend, I went on a retreat to Little Galilee with J.K, his preaching majors and some high school students. The whole focus of the weekend was to listen for God's voice. As the days got closer to this retreat, the more hesitant I was in going. I knew that my soul was screaming for some intentional time with God, but my schedule was yanking back into my office. I decided to stick with my commitment and go on the retreat. It was an absolute breath of fresh air.
The scripture that we analyzed this weekend was Hebrews 12:1-3. I don't know if God could have given me a more applicable text for me to hear. As I read through the Hall of Faith in chapter 11 and then heard this great plea from the writer of Hebrews not to give up in chapter 12, I found myself confessing to God my most intimate fears about making this move to Dallas. I also found myself hearing the simple charge, "Don't Give Up...Keep your eyes on me and keep running after me with all you have." I told God that I felt that I couldn't run after him very hard due to all the things that I was carrying. God asked me if I would be willing to let him carry them instead. I then proceeded to strip off all of the things that were tripping me up.
The embarassing thing is that when I got home from the weekend, I began to pick up all the burdens, worries and doubts. I guess this is the thing about faith. As Fred Craddock points out, "Faith isn't about writing God a million dollar check of faith and then walking away from him never to have your faith questioned again...faith is more like writing checks of $1.83, $.86 and so forth everyday."
"God may I be faithful to you in the small every day decisions. May I cling to the belief that you are capable of doing everything that you have promised and doing more than I could ever hope or imagine. Help me to trust you and to cling to your word that you will never leave us or forsake us. I know my faith is small and that I try to do so much on my own. Help me to fix my eyes on you and run after you with everything I have...even if it is just a crawl."
Sunday, March 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The realtor is meeting with Lindsay this afternoon. I'm assuming she is going to let us know what she has been praying about.
Post a Comment