They called off school today. I can't hardly believe it. We never get out of school. The only time that I can remember ever getting out of school is that one day in which we had the 9ft snow drifts. I guess that these blizzard conditions were reasonable cause to shut down higher education. Good call.
Do you remember how fun snow days were when you were a kid? The routine was pretty much the same. My sister would wake up at the butt crack of dawn and she would come into my room and jump on my bed yelling something like, "They cancelled school. They cancelled school." Just to be sure, I would then race into the living room flip on the ole tele and wait like the Los Angelos Clippers on draft day to hear our name announced for school closings. Whenever our school was named, it was like pure ectasy...not like the drug but like the joy.
I would then put on what seemed to be every item of clothing I owned to go build a fort in our front yard. After my fort was built, I would walk around the house looking for ice cicles to build my Fortress of Solitude -yes, just like Superman. Once again, the guy wore his underwear outside his pants, who is going to mess with him. The fun part about the Fortress of Solitude was in the construction. Once that sucker was built, there isn't a whole lot you can do but sit in your Fortress of Solitude and freeze your butt off.
I would then usually go inside and hybernate. The moment of truth always came at the 10 o'clock news. Like a drunk waiting for his next hit of scotch, I would always sit there in front of the television pleading for one more day. Sometimes we did. Sometimes we didn't.
So what am I going to do today. Go build a fortress of solitude. What else?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My school did not get cancelled. Sadness. I had the blueprints to my fort drawn up last night when I thought, "Just maybe, please . . . "
I will mail you $5 if you do it with your underwear on the outside of your pants.
Jenn --I just wrote you a letter. It was fun seeing your comment here. I just wanted to thank you for the Monkey Memo.
Miah--I need the money.
yea, i heard you got quite the blizzard...was it two or three inches of snow, i cant remember? nice...i remember in my 3 1/2 years snows hitting several inches to a half foot...and walking to class in the frigid wind. thanks LCC.
it snowed here the other day. it was really wierd. then yesterday it was 70 and sunny.
Post a Comment