Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Living in an Empire Strikes Back World



One of the things I am sure of is that in the end God will win. Yep, I'm pretty much convinced. In fact, I am banking my entire life on it.

I know that Christ has already defeated death, satan and the powers of darkness. I also know that one day Christ will stand victorious and every knee will bow, every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.... however, my heart sometimes has a hard time catching up with my head.

As I look at the world today, I see so many areas in which the enemy seems to be winning and it is frustrating. Just this past weekend I had to put the paper down because it was saddening to my soul. In times like this I find myself asking, "how long O Lord will you allow these injustices to continue? How long will we remain silent to these matters?" I also find myself wondering how I can help usher in Christ's kingdom into the places where darkness reigns. I know God is at work, but sometimes evil seems to be outshining the light.

In many ways, I feel like we are living in the age of "Empire Strikes Back" while knowing "Return of the Jedi" is just around the corner. Even though I know Christ is going to return and make all things right, it is still hard watching the ways the Enemy throw around his seduction, lies and corruption...and see many devoted servants, pastors, friends and loved ones getting beat up. I hate this part of our struggle against the influence of the enemy.

My prayer is that the ranks fo the church will not remain idle and wait for another generation to take our place to carry out Christ's commission. I pray Christ's servants will continue to remain resilient to the difficulties of service. I pray for young people to take steps of faith to join the work God is already doing. I pray Christ's Church will continue to look outward and minister to the hurting. I pray leaders will follow and followers will lead. I pray good people will not remain silent or lethargic to the plight of people outside of Jesus.

God, help us all to hold on.

2 comments:

Kelli Bagby said...

I can't watch the news for more than 30 seconds for the very same reason, everything seems so negative. it's saddening and i just can't stand it.

Anonymous said...

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed. We always carry aroun in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. II Cor. 4:8-10