Thursday, July 05, 2007

You Want Me To Do What?

Have you ever wondered if Abram was the first guy God ever called to be his covenant bearer? Scripture is obviously silent on the subject but yet I still can't silence my imagination. I'm still caught by the question of whether there wasn't some other guy God called only to hear hesitation or flat our rejection. I know that God had the foresight to choose someone who was inclined to respond in obedience but with all the rejections I get from recruitment calls, I still wonder.

Many times throughout the day I talk to people who have the giftedness, passion and often even the desire to become missionaries. Somewhere in between the time I say hello to the time I hear a dial-tone, I frequently hear people close off the possibility of doing mission work due to some logistic or stretch of the imagination...like having to raise one's own support or moving from Mayberry, North Carolina.

"You want me to go where? I'm sorry, I don't think that is going to work. My family obviously couldn't possibly move."

Obviously not. What the crap was I thinking?

I know that not everyone I talk to should pack up their things and move but where is the openness to even consider such a crazy thing.

What if Jesus would have been as closed in his thinking when God presented his mission of coming to earth? We wouldn't have any hope. And that's the point.

I know I am guilty of being closed minded too but my prayer is that I will continue to grow in my openness to the possibilities of God.

I hope I grow to the point where I quit telling God what I will and won't do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you for FACT that I flat out refused a straight up offer to work in Nashua (new england, I cant spell it cuz obviously I never went)...a seemingly great opportunity just because I didnt want to PR and raise my own support.

It was not an option because I was unwilling to do the work (lazy) ...here's why: Its easier to get a job that already pays you everything you need (imagine that). When you are young, its pretty appealing to walk into a $30,000 gig...young, moving up, world looks bright. On the same note, put a few years and alot of miles behind you and you begin to realize that convenience often comes at a price...what is "easy" often times is not really worthwhile for those of us that are more spiritually minded than mere status quo. The typical midwest, bible belt stereotype church magically lives in the 1950's...yet hiring ministers born in the frigen 80's: **warning: sweeping generalization about to take place** Unless you are a butt-kissing, politicking, status quo, do nothing, maintanance minister, you're gonna get canned in the "easy" church. Take a spiritually minded, passionate minister, driven by conviction in a stereotype church = FIRED!

And brutha, after a few experiences like that, I think you'll find them much more receptive to raising their own support. In fact, I imagine that they'd be kicking themselves for not doing it sooner, as I am.

**rant begins**In my overstated opinion, the stereotype church is a dying breed and is only used as a stepping stone to gain the necessary experience for the contemporary churches...that is for those that are more concerned with ministry than security. Strong statement..overstated,oversimplified, sweeping generalization, not true in entirety, but there's absolutely truth in it. Chances are it will continue to get more true as time goes on until the church gets back in line with mainstream, popular culture and begins to not only reflect their local demographic, but shows actual interest in reaching it (what a novel idea).
In the meantime however ministers are either step-stoning, raising funds for a contemporary ministry (church plant or otherwise), or abused to the point of quitting ministry altogether.

Here's my overdue point...I find myself more than excited about raising my own support and wish I had the foresight 10 years ago to have done so. In light of all I just said (taken with some salt)my advice to you is save the names and call them back in 5-10 years after God's had some time with them. I would never have come to this point had God not bent me, bruised me into maturity...I suppose its as the old song goes: "In his time...In his time"

God bless brutha