This post will probably come across as a jumbled mess mixed in with some constipated thoughts and very few circus midget references. Sorry if I lose anyone along the way.
Thought #1: I was watching Home Alone II last night and Kevin's mom said something that has stuck with me...I mean beyond the thought of how someone could leave their kid home alone during Christmas 2 freaking years in a row. But that isn't important right now. As you know Kevin is lost in New York and as she is searching for him, these cops come up to her and tell her that she is wasting her time. "Its like finding a needle in a haystack lady" says the cop. Kevin's mom then shoots back, "what would you do if it were your kid?" I know this may sound like something that isn't too big a deal but it got me to thinking about children around the world. What if it was my son or daughter who was lost? What if they didn't know Jesus? What if it were my daughter who hadn't eaten in 3 days? What if it were my son who lived within a people group that had never had the word of God translated into his language?
Thought #2: While watching season 4 of the West Wing (I am hooked to this show by the way), the President is wrestling with what to do when it appears that genocide is taking place amongst two warring tribes in Africa. While out for a walk Pres. Bartlett runs into one of his advisors. Speaking hypothetically, Pres. Bartlett asks, "why is it that an American life is more important than an African life." His advisor, Will Baily, responds by saying, "It just is." I wonder how much of this kind of thinking is still prevalent in our churches...and even more profoundly --how much of this kind of thinking resonates within me? Do I fully believe that all people are God's children and equally worthy of His grace? Do I fully want all people to know God as much as I do the rich white kids enrolled in my college. May God have mercy. As you can see, there is something growing deep within the fiber of my soul. I am wanting to make a more concentrated effort towards world evangelism. May God give me clarity.
Thought #3: How many times do you have to get hit in the crotch by a paint can before you take the money and run? This goes back to the Home Alone thing but didn't seem to fit in the mood of the first thought.
Thought #4: I have had some crazy roller coaster moments with my daughter the last couple of days. I have been on top of the mountain in getting to spend some extra time with her as Lindsay heals from her surgery. Through this time, I can understand how much more God loves us his little ragmuffin kids. Sometimes I just look at my daughter and laugh with delight. I wonder what it was like before we had her and I honestly can't remember. In conjunction with the highs, I have also had 2 sleepless nights and frustrations of trying to figure out what this little kid is wanting from me and why she keeps on crying for no apparent reason. I then wonder how God doesn't drop rocks on all of us.
Thought #5: My grandpa told me he was proud of me last night. I was speechless. He has never told me this before. I always sort of thought that he thought I was throwing my life away. As he talked to me, I can tell that he has been walking with God. As some of you know, this has been one of my most heartfelt prayers over the years. I just wanted to see my grandpa in heaven. I now feel that he knows and loves God!
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i just got season four of the west wing for christmas. i am up to right after the election and sam is on his way to orange county. miss ya man.
Post a Comment