Thursday, February 02, 2006

Operation H.E.A.V.E.N.

As my days tick down here at LCC, I keep getting more reminiscent about various parts of my job. Last night, I spent 6 hours in a van with 3 students on an Operation HEAVEN trip to Oblong, IL. Over the years, I have come to see that my ministry in Operation HEAVEN generally isn't in the places that we go but in the students that I get to spend time with. Last night was one of those magical nights in which I got to see our students come alive in service to Jesus. It was a beautiful thing to see these guys pouring their hearts out to God and then to see them make every effort to connect with the kids.

Then on the way back, we just had one of those conversations that lasted the whole way home. I got to hear how these kids came to Lincoln and what they are wanting to do with their lives.

I must admit, I have more moments of frustration with my students than moments when I get to see them in their element...but everytime that I get to see their heart and passion for Jesus it makes all the frustrations disappear.

I will truly miss this aspect of this ministry. Its hard to think that this crazy idea was born in my dorm room while sitting around with a bunch of guys eating Cheetos and dreaming about how we could share our faith with the world.

As I think about Operation HEAVEN, I think about:

The time that we led worship in Chilicothe only to see an elderly woman come into the sanctuary grabbing her heart yelling, "I can feel the bass in my chest."

The time Tyler Hughes farted while Neil Troyer gave his testimony.

The time that I preached at this revival and this guy kept telling me stories about Princess Diana --Stoner and I decided to introduce this guy to Trent Seggelke and then we left. Trent then came back about an hour later and said with angst, "You guys left me."

I think about the worship team that came to my youth ministry in Rantoul...that was such an encouragement to our little church.

The time John Wentz and I went up to Lincoln-Way only to have our car catch on fire...we then had to run back to the school on foot.

The time one of the girls on our trip drank some water from the Clinton Hardee's and remarked, "This water taste like keys." What?

I also remember the time when I was going over my sermon notes while driving to Quincy only to look up and see that a car was driving in our lane...

Free snow cones.

The ongoing conversation of what is the scariest thing that we could ever see on the side of the road on the way back from a trip. The top 4 are....4) Twins holding hands. 3) Yourself 2) A baby eating a cow (werid huh?) and #1) and old lady in a wedding dress standing in the middle of a cornfield.

The hours of conversations with students about their dreams, view of God and their desire to see kids worship the savior.

I know most of these stories probably don't do a whole lot for everyone out there but they are memories that I will forever charish.

If any of you ever spent a weekend with me, helped me out with a sermon or just came along for the ride on some trip...thank you for the memories.

11 comments:

Lowery said...

Yep. I remember the Quincy trip, too. Like how the kids wanted to spend two hours at the mall in Quincy and I said, "Really? Really guys? This mall? Okay..." Then when we came back to get them they were all sitting on the curb, some of them sleeping.

And I remember that one girl showed up with the team and things did not go so well for me. But I'm not telling that story. And it's your fault anyway. Hey - you said, "If this works out, I get the credit, Lowery!"

A boy named Toadie said...

She could have been your Eve.

A boy named Toadie said...

Matty J. I'll never forget that story that you told about your uncle killing that puppy. I just remember the horror on the faces of the kids when you talked about hitting it over the head with a paddle.

A boy named Toadie said...

I should probably explain that last comment so that PETA doesn't rip me a new one in the press.

Matt made up the story. It never happened. So keep your e-mails to yourself PETA...I'm going to go eat a burger. Take that.

Super Dave said...

ahh i was on that trip to Quincy where we sat in the mall for two hours doing nothing because there was nothing to do in that mall, and the trip to Athens when Dave Escobar broke Popejoy's bass, and I had to drive Dave back to Lincoln so that he could get his bass. Ahh good times. Thanks for the opportunities to serve, senor Toadie

A boy named Toadie said...

Dave, You just reminded me of the time when an unnamed girl dropped Phil Riley's guitar on the cement. I thought he was going to cry. And I did.

soeyun said...

Toad - this has absolutely nothing to do with you leaving Lincoln... wait I remember yelling at you in Lincoln... anyway, every time I look at your blog adress I think of the word syphilis, and well... it just kind of creeps me out. The End

Adam said...

I remember going to Emden, I preached and you taught sunday school.

As I remember we both did a terrible job and just sorta agreed on that and later laughed about that.

A boy named Toadie said...

Adam --I remember that trip well because we also got stuck in the snow as we were coming out of the driveway. I don't remember how we got out but I think it had something to do with my brute strength...at least that is how I am going to remember it in my memoirs.

Do you remember that time you got two people making out in the practice room as we were unloading the van? I thought i was going to pee my pants.

Adam said...

haha how could I forget getting stuck.

I do remember catching the people, just barely.

Anonymous said...

Some of my best memories from Lincoln revolve around Op Heaven. The Base in the chest, the car going the wrong way, the quincy mall excusion, Oh yes and everyone's favorite, the LLama driving :) Thanks Toad

-Abby Gnagey