Monday, February 13, 2006

Thing I was reminded of today...

While out looking for the perfect Valentine's gift for my wife, I was reminded of several things:

1) Way too many guys wait until the last minute to find their wife a gift on Valentine's Day.

2) Man I hated giving out Valentines as a kid. As a young lad, I would always sift through the pile of Transformer or GI Joe Valentines to find the messages that would be least offensive to the people that I didn't really want to send a Valentine to. I would always start out my list with the ugliest and smelliest girls and then work my way up to the cuter girls. I never wanted to be misunderstood or be guilty of sending any mixed messages.

3) I still feel uncomfortable going by the bra section of Wal-Mart (I was looking for socks for my wife's stuffed rabbit).

4) Getting "caught" putting socks on a stuffed rabbit is more difficult to explain than I would like to admit.

5) Hellium balloons shrink when they get outside in the cold. I would have liked to have believed that I would have remembered this one without the help from the lady behind the counter but deep down I think we both know that I would have been back in the store within 3 minutes looking like a schmuck as I demanded a refund for my "defective" balloon.

6) I should have paid better attention in science class.

7) I should have paid less attention in health class. Mr. Prina didn't know sqwat about chicks.

8) Fun size candy bars really aren't all that fun unless your idea of fun is piecing together 8 micro candy bars for a satisfying treat. I think a fun size candy bar would be one that was as big as my head...or one that required me to borrow a pickup truck.

9) Valentine's Day is still the single man's best friend. All you have to do is just pay attention...and use your imagination...or be freakin handsome.

10) If you don't have very much imagination for Valentine's Day, you will probably end up paying $68.50 for a dozen roses.

11) It is a lot of fun hearing that one of your closest friends is pregnant. Everyone probably already knows this but I'm not going to be the one that spills the beans.

12) I can be bribed with fun-sized candy bars.

13) Nathan is a really great name for a boy or a girl.

14) Toadie really isn't that great a name for either.

15) There is nothing better than getting to rejoice with friends that are rejoicing. On top of the announcement of a new family member, John Wentz sold his house, Joel Searby got a new job and my daughter finally figured out where her nose is (does anyone remember in college how I used to always pretend to have a kid that would point at their armpit when I asked them where there nose was...who knew that this was going to be a reality?

15) It is fun to have special days set aside when we can tell the ones we love how much they mean to us. I know a lot of people look past Valentine's Day as just another day...and it is way overly commercialized but it is still fun all the same to have a day set aside to let the special people in your life know how much you care about them.

16) God is faithful even when I am not. This would take way more time to talk about then any of you would want to read.

17) I am still a hopeless romantic that is celebrating his 5th Valentine's Day with my beautiful wife Lindsay. I love you baby.

1 comment:

A boy named Toadie said...

Funny story about why I had to give a valentine to every person in school.

1) My teacher made me (this is the not so funny part of the story)

2) When my dad was a kid, he and his friends decided it would be funny to throw all their valentines for a particular girl in the trashcan of the bathroom. When she started to cry, my dad vowed that he would always make his kids give valentines to everyone. The End.