Friday, May 12, 2006

When Grace Rains Down

It has been said, “Of all the human emotions, gratitude has the shortest memory.” Sometimes my appreciation for God and his work in my life is like an early morning mist. It is clearly seen in the moment but as time passes on it slowly fades away until it is completely forgotten.

I have been standing in a great mist of blessings lately and I don't want to forget to say thank you. My gratitude began on Monday night when I was handed two tickets to see the St. Louis Cardinals in Busch stadium. God knew that I needed a little bit of fun. "God, thank you."

Then I read the weather report and there was a 60% of rain. God held off the rain for a perfect night of baseball (and Albert Pujols smacked a 3 run homer to win the game). "Thank you."

I then got to have a wonderful conversation with one of the missionaries Lindsay and I support to Laos. He was a great encouragement to me and the things that we are going through. "Thank you."

On Tuesday I was also asked to come forward at the end of the chapel service to receive prayer. Brian Mills asked the students to pray for our upcoming move and to consider supporting our ministry. I was humbled and grateful. "God, thank you."

Then on Wednesday, I went to my last seminary class. I had no idea that it was going to be that emotional. While I was sitting there in class, I was flooded with gratitude at how blessed I am to have received such a wonderful education...and free at that. I will probably reflect more upon this in the coming days but for now I just need to say, "God, thank you."

Then we opened up class with prayer only to have Dr. Lowery stop the class and ask them to pray for my upcoming move and support raising. Once again, I was humbled and so full of thanks that I couldn't even say a word. "God, thank you."

We then began to read God's word in Revelation as it talked about the host of people who will stand around the throne of God. I was reminded that not everyone has the ability to read this same promise. "God thank you for my ministry. Please work through Lindsay and me as we desire to to help people come to know you in a way that they will be invited into your dwelling."

You would think that this is enough blessing for a lifetime but it doesn't stop there. After class we had a honor's lunch in order to celebrate our worship of God through our studies in seminary. Dr. Tanner then came to the podium and announced that this year that LCS will be celebrating the 5,000 graduate to come through our school and that he would like to symbolically wash this student's feet.

It turns out that this student was me. I will be the 5,000 student. Dr. Tanner, a man that I love and respect with everything in me, washed my feet. After it was over he hugged me and I went into the bathroom and cried. Who am I Lord that you are so good to me? Thank you.

The cherry on top of this floodgate of blessings was capped by a retreat with my old SFG yesterday. We gathered at Starved Rock to catch up with each other and to pray. Appropriately, it rained the entire day. We still hiked, we still laughed and we still prayed for God to work in our lives. I love you guys more than I ever say it.

Most gracious heavenly Father, you have truly opened the floodgates with your blessings this week. Why you have decided to surround me with your love is beyond me. Why you even think of us at all is nothing short of amazing. Who are we God that you love us so? Who are we that you want to work through us? Who are we God that you would want to love us.

I simply love you God. Thank you for Jesus and thank you for your love. You are more than enough for me.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Nathan, Your post brought tears to my eyes. Your faith encourages me. Let me know if you have any time when you come to the Lou!

flowergirl said...

Thank you Nathan for that encouragement. It's so beautiful to see God's provision in you and Lindsay's life. That pack of happenings will provide moments of strength for you when times get tough and it looks like the support isn't going to come in. I have pages like that in my journal that I go to when I am discouraged or think God isn't working. The months before I left for Russia were full of such things and over a year later I'm still "living off of" those moments...

Thank you for your faith and for your blog that inspires me so much as I am away from home and surrounded by few Christians. You and Lindsay remain in my prayers.