
Today has been an emotional day for me. I finished unpacking the rest of our stuff into my in-laws house and then drove back to Lincoln to clean up around the old homestead.
I know it is a pretty sappy thing to get emotional about but Lincoln has been a special place in the life of our family.
This is the place where I first met my wife, where I went to school and fell in love with Jesus. This is the town where my daughter was born and the place where I met the majority of my closest friends.
As I drove down the road today, I heard Greenday's song, "Time of Your Life." As I heard this song, I couldn't help but think about so many great memories from college and beyond.
For some reason the following scenes went through my head:
-SoeBeck chasing Heather Donegan after he poured lemonade on her.
-The walk I went on with my wife when we decided to get married.
-The place in our house where my wife told me that we were going to have a baby.
-The time John Wentz annointed my head with a burning oil...
-The night Lowery and I chased this guy around LCC with Oreos and soft drinks (I guess you had to be there).
-Dr. Lowery teaching us about humkity.
And on and on....
Isn't it funny how you remember the most random things when you get nostalgic?
What comes to mind when you remember Lincoln?
10 comments:
how terrified i was of Chuck Sackett going into Homiletics and then how I was ever more terrified of him after Homiletics.
I sat in on some of Lowery's stuff but I don't remember anything as interesting as humkity. I regret having missed that.
Dustin --your comment made me laugh out loud.
TWH --Dr. Lowery wrote HUMILITY on the board but it came out looking a lot like humkity. I guess you had to be there for that one too.
Jamie --A lot of fun memories here. I totally forgot about the #7 at Steak n Shake. I would probably be a lot faster swimmer if I never had of run into that cursed deal.
Your comment about the hot tub reminded of this time when SoeBeck and I went into the library in our swimming suits looking for Ben Dial. We ran into Jayla MIlls and told her that we were taking a shower in the Library. She totally bought it.
junkyardlove: My e-mail is down and I don't want to post it here...I have to keep the number of whackjobs who are stalking me down to a minimum.
matty merold welcoming wes and i to lincoln by repeatedly throwing a 2 x 4 against our door.
playing hallway dodgeball on E-1 and inadvertantly hitting jeff colleen in the face.
playing hallway bowling on E-1 and inadvertantly busting one of the hallway radiators.
my senior seminar sermon on romans 7 (the only one of my college sermons that i actually liked)
my week of e trip to l'arche
getting revenge on my neighbors who constantly stomped on the floor when we played our stereo too loud by banging on the ceiling every time they, um, had a midnight prayer meeting.
You hit Jeff Colleen in the face?!?
Dude. How did you manage that one...and was it really "accidently" as you so call it.
-sleeping in Rachel's room because my room was so messy!
-pancakes by bob
-John getting jealous of you (Toad) on our way to Dixie which led to him realizing he "liked me"
-Junkyardlove shining a flashlight in our faces at an outdoor bonfire
-week of E
-having a non-trad refuse to come to class the day I preached in Expos.
Shannon --I was telling a story about Pancake Bob last week. There was one time in Greek class when the brother just went nuts on Jon Spencer. He yelled at the top of his lungs at Jon saying, "Will you SHUT UP!" Dante then said, "WWJD, Bob." I thought I was going to fall out of my chair from laughing so hard. Thanks for the memories.
P.S. I love the story about John getting jealous. I'm glad I got to play a cameo role in your story.
toad, i was just throwing the four square ball at matty merold. merold ducked, colleen walked through the door and the ball whacked him right upside the face. he really should have knocked.
i also remember laying in wait and ambushing the pizza deliverymen with snowballs when they came to deliver pies to alumni (and, occasionally, to titus and timothy as well). that was kind-of mean.
Dodgeball on E1 was the greatest. Metcalf and I owned ALL.
Post a Comment