Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Naughty and Ice


This past weekend I drove over to Missouri to present our missions work with the good people of Rolla. Little did I know that I would be greeted with a barrage of ice reminiscent of The Great Ice Storm of 1987. For all you weather novices who don't recall this historic storm, The Great Ice Storm of 1987 knocked out the power of Southwest Missouri for 2 weeks. I remember those two weeks well because not only did we not have power, we also did not have running water (we had to flush our toilets with water from the pond next door). For two weeks, I and my family did our best to emulate the Ingels from Little House on the Prairie. We even had our own Nelli Olsen and everything...wait, no that really was the Ingels. Every since that winter, I continually get our families confused.

Even though I didn't get to do my presentation, I still had a great time hanging out with the Fosters and the Cooks. Their kids are absolutely a blast. Chris and Dorothy's little boy, Luke (2 1/2), made me laugh the hardest when he and the other kids were running around the church auditorium after Sunday morning worship. When one little boy pushed my man over, Luke jumped off the ground and shouted, "You're naughty!" as he pointed his finger at his assailant. I'm not really sure why this made me laugh so hard. I guess I just love it when people call a duck a duck.

Because of the weather, I was forced to come home Monday. It was a pretty exciting adventure. I saw a truck spin out of control right in front of me, a 300lb hog standing in the middle of traffic blocking off interstate 64 and then at a gas station I saw a lady dump like 4 gallons of gasoline all over her car as she sat inside her SUV looking at her make-up (yes, I did run over to shut it off).

I then came home, had a Coke and wondered if I really did see a hog in the middle of the road. I thought about it some more and I really did.

7 comments:

John said...

Remember that crazy snow storm we had at Lincoln when we got so much snow that you could walk on top of Restoration Hall? Man, that was awesome...
Wait, your post was about ice.
Dangit! I'm so stupid!

A boy named Toadie said...

John,

I do remember that snow storm. We watched like a hundred movies that week. I also remember guys jumping off of Restoration Hall.

Ed said...

Officially I hate this winter. All the other states are having the cool weather (pun intended). I heard the State of Florida is suing Illinois for taking its winter weather. Of course the State of Illinois is suing Florida for taking its crooked elections.

Ed said...

Officially I hate this winter. All the other states are having the cool weather (pun intended). I heard the State of Florida is suing Illinois for taking its winter weather. Of course the State of Illinois is suing Florida for taking its crooked elections.

Anonymous said...

I too remember the snow storm of '87. Pitching a tent in the living room, cooking hot dogs over a charcoal grill, Sunday worship in our living room, with 2 other people showing up for Church. It was great!!! (well maybe not great) an experience, a better word.
The duck

I love numbers said...

Glad you made it home. It sounds like it was quite an adventure. My favorite part of the weekend was playing Trivia Pursuit by candlelight.

A boy named Toadie said...

Jana, my favorite part is when you and Justin started quaking during the final round of Balderdash.

It was a lot of fun. I mean, it wasn't as fun as having a hog run out into the middle of traffic but it was still fun. I really wish Addy could have met Emma. I think she would have liked her a lot.