Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Prayer, paper cuts and lemon juice

Who is that person that you go to when you have a specific prayer concern? Have you ever asked someone to pray for you only to get one of those "I'll say I am going to pray for you but deep down I am going to forget this conversation in about 17 seconds" responses? Whenever that happens, I just want to hold the person down, pluck out their beard with rusted tweezers and give them repeated paper cuts while I pour lemon juice on their fresh wounds...what did you expect, I said I needed prayer.

Ok, I am a jerkface. Now that we have that established. I truly want to become a better man of prayer. I have people ask me to pray for them on a regular basis. Whenever someone asks me to pray for them, I truly make every effort to bring their request before the Father. Even though I have been a Christian for over 17 years now, I still find myself struggling to be a better friend through petition. How are you intentional in your prayer life? I would really like to know.

On the flip side, there are some people in my life that just are as comfortable in prayer as they are in their own skin. When I think about people like Neil Windham, J.K. Jones, Gerald Denny, Lois Laughlin, my mother and scores of other people, I am humbled at how immature I am in my prayer life. Maybe someone should hold me down and pluck my beard out with some rusted tweezers.

No comments: