Saturday, September 24, 2005

Do You Want to Dance?

I just recently reread C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. In his chapter entitled, "Good Infection" Lewis makes the following reflection:

"The most important difference between Christianity and all other religions is that God is not a static thing--not even a person--but a dynamic, pulsating activity, a life, almost a kind of drama. Almost , if you will not think me irreverent, a kind of dance...The whole dance, or drama, or pattern of this three-Personal life is to be played out in each one of us: or each one of us has got to enter that pattern, take his place in that dance. There is no other way to the happiness for which we were made. Good things as well as bad, you know , are caught by a kind of infection. If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire. If you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to or even into the thing that has them. They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone. They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality. If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry."

As I sit reading these words, I find myself pondering why I keep God at arms length during so many episodes of my life? Why do I resist joining the wonderful dance of God when it is the very activity that would bring so much delight to my soul? Why do I look for alternative springs of happiness when the fountain of God is available to quench my deepest thirsts?

I think my hesitance comes from not wanting to turn over the reigns of my life to someone else. If I were to continue with the dance analogy, I like to lead too much...even if it means continually tripping and falling all over the place. However, I know that if I am ever going to learn how to dance in this life, I am going to have to learn how to follow the Master.

God, please teach me how to dance in you.

No comments: