Thursday, September 22, 2005

Harry Potter meets C.S. Lewis

Dick Staub writes:

With every new Harry Potter movie I find myself drawn into a debate, seemingly unavoidably, I wish not to be part of. I refer of course to the battle between those who oppose the Harry Potter series as antithetical to faith, and those who are thrilled to see their kids reading, and who find the series imaginative, believing also that it provides teachable moments. The divisiveness over Harry Potter is passionate in the extreme, so much so that I've heard individuals from the pro & con side actually questioning "the salvation" of those on the other side. This, I trust you agree, is the quintessential definition of "over the top."Here are a few guiding comments.ONE. WE suffer the problem described by C.S. Lewis in "Screwtape Letters" regarding devils. " There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel and excessive and unhealthy interest in them." I think we ought not to ignore the issues raised by Harry Potter. I also do not think we ought to be unhealthily preoccupied with them.

4 comments:

soebeck said...

The Office is incredible! Shrute rocks!

g13 said...

devouring the american verison after watching the english version is so like "second drink."

Mandy said...

i LOVE that show.

i think it's brilliant humor.

i wish the S.D. office was like that. haha. could you picture it w/ GT?

A boy named Toadie said...

I think my favorite part of the show this last week is when the bossman is telling the joke about going out with a girl from HR and then Dwight says, "There are no girls in HR." Then the boss says,
"Before she would even let me take her out, I had to fill out all this paper work." Then Dwight says, "You mean like an AIDS test." I just loved everyone's reaction. I guess you had to be there. But I am sitting here chuckling to myself.