Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Dawn of Morning

It's almost 9:00pm and I am still here at the office plugging away at another vain attempt to master divinity. The seminary catalog said it would only take 75 hours to master but it turns out that this is just one of those marketing ploys they come up with to suck you into gazillion hours of study.

Sometimes in the middle of my course work, I can visibly see the air coming out of my proverbial balloon. Tonight is one of those nights. As I sit here trying to come up with a rational thought, I sense that the last two brain cells inside my head are kick boxing each other for overall dominance. However, in the midst of my weariness, I can see hope dawning in a new day.

This dawn is not merely just the hope that things will settle down tomorrow or that life will one day be filled without term papers, research and late night study sessions. It is the eternal hope that one day we will dance in heaven with God. It is the hope in what C.S. Lewis refers to in The Great Divorce as the hope that the residents of this world must live by.

He writes, "Where do you imagine you've been? Ah, I see you mean that the grey town with it continual hope of morning (we must all live by hope must we not?), with its field for indefinite progress, is in a sense, Heaven, if only we have the eyes to see it? That is a beautiful idea."

If you look around, we all live in that grey town with its continual hope of morning.

2 comments:

miah said...

nah dood i'm pretty sure that's just lincoln.

A boy named Toadie said...

What the Murph is a Dood?