This weekend, I had the honor of standing up with one of my best friends on the day of his wedding. Brian said something at the reception that has stuck with me all weekend. "Toadie, my dad made me put you in the wedding." After that he said something profound about how he and Sarah wanted their wedding to be a testiment of community. As I looked around the room and took in the sites, sounds and flavors it struck me that this is community at its best.
In many ways, I felt like we got to share a small taste of what heaven is going to be like. Here we were, a bunch of friends (some old, some new) coming together with dancing, singing, laughing and celebration at the request of the groom. Coming from various places in life, destinations and experiences we came together for the purpose of witnessing this wonderful union of two dear friends.
I then began to think about how precious marriage truly is and what a wonderful woman I married. I know I am blessed and I hope I never take my wife for granted. I know that my love will only grow for my wife if I continue to love God. As C.S. Lewis wrote, "Human beings can't make one another really happy for long...you cannont love a fellow-creature fully till you love God."
My prayer this day has been that I and my wonderful bride will continue to fall in love with Jesus every day so that we can love another to the full extent that God intended.
Sunday, October 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love you buddy. and this driscoll book rocks my socks off...wait, can it do that if i am wearing flip-flops no socks right now? crap, it rocked them off and i didnt even realize it. driscoll! what did you and your book do with my socks. ive got places to go and no socks to wear.
Post a Comment