Last Thursday, the faculty/staff challenged our study body to a game of full-contact football (maybe we should have called it fool contact but that isn't important right now). Everyone is getting really pumped up. The students are getting pretty cocky about their chances. They don't know that we have a secret weapon in one...Dr. Walter S. Zorn. Yes, that's right. I talked to Walt last Thursday and he says that he is going to play a little QB for us. I don't know if Walt's middle name starts with a S but it should. And that S should stand for Superman. Because when he leads us onto the field there is going to be a lot plays of the super persuasion taking place. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
I don't think I have mentioned out here in Blogland that I have come out of retirement from Thursday football. After I was rejecting from the Hall of Fame in late August, I realized that my resume was incomplete and that I needed to pad my stats a little. It was a tough decision but after much reflection, I realized that I had to come back. There was just too much riding on me not playing.
After no training and many candy bars, I realized that I had renewed my passion for the game. Its not about money anymore. Its not about the fame and the glory. Those things are in my past. Its now all about the game. Its the comraderie of the guys, the sweat of the large butt freshman standing to your left that couldn't block a first grade hall monitor and the blood that makes it all worth it. Sure, I got hit so hard in the nose last week that my eyes filled up like a Democrat on election night but its worth it. Sure, there are days when I can't get out of bed and yell things like, "Lindsay, I can't put my socks on again!" But I'm back baby and there is no stopping me now...unless you are a better than mediocre running back and you actually know how to make a cutback move (man, I hate it when I always bite on those).
Friday, October 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Fantastic! You are the man my friend, you are the man.
LOL! That's awesome. Also, playing football astablishes credablitiy for your "football dating analogy."
The game isn't until Oct. 27 at 4:30pm This isn't to say that I won't have a back eye when I come to the wedding but it will be for a different reason.
The first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club. That's all I'm saying. And that I don't like going to fight club very much.
Matt,
It isn't going to replace that Holer-Titus Game. That one is being played the week after we play...if we don't all die first.
Post a Comment