Saturday, November 12, 2005

Breakfast at Toadie's

This morning I had breakfast with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. It was a most fascinating discussion on spirituality. I don't remember how we got on the subject but Teresa reminded me that "what we do as a Christian isn't half as important as why we do it." This comment stumped me. The whole time that she was talking, I kept thinking about the things that I do that I categorize as ministry. I couldn't help but wonder if my acts of service have been done with the purist of intentions or just to put in my time, collect a paycheck and go on my merry way.

Teresa then went on to tell me about her Interior Castle. She mentioned various rooms within this house that helped her understand that "true perfection consists in the love of God and our neighbor." She also reminded me that some of her greatest encounters with God took place in the kitchen "among the pots and pans". I asked her if she would like to be my patron Saint for Mentored Ministry. She pretty much just pretended to ignore the conversation and stuffed her mouth full of muffins and mumbled something about rather having her head stapled to the carpet.

That is when John of the Cross piped in and started talking about suffering. Before I could cut John off and tell him that Teresa was joking, John started talking about how modern Christians have been caught up in the idea that Christianity is all about peaches and cream. I asked him to expand. He said that spirituality and the Christian life hinges on the haunting words of Jesus, "take up your cross." He then went on to say "sometimes we must agonize through inner ordeals so that we may be transformed into the kinds of people that God desires as his most intimate companions." He then went on to tell me about how he was fired from his job, demoted to the life of a simple monk and had many of his so called peers spread the worst of rumors about him. I told him that I thought this was truly a shame that the body of Christ could act such a way. John then told me that it was no pity at all. He then went on to say that one of his persistent prayers that he prayed when he was beaten in prison and going through the agony of frostbite on his toes was, "God, enable me to suffer and be despised." I had to chew on this one for a while too. Why would one pray for suffering and to be despised. John then told me that every man must pass throught he dark night of the soul in order to find the light of God.

Since I was intrigued by these new teachings, I asked John what things impede our spiritual growth with God so that we may find the light. John then looked me in the eye and whispered, "It is one's pride." He then elaborated by saying, "when individuals fall victim to such spiritual pride, they routinely think themselves better than other Christians. They take more delight in their own spirituality and spiritual gifts than those of others."

I then was confronted with whether or not I am more concerned about my needs or the needs of others. Do I have use my gifts to enhance the gifts of others? A lot to think about. We then had a second cup of coffee and talked about the Cardinals chances of picking up a big bat in the off season.

John said that he was a Cubs fan. "What? How could you ever be a Cubs fan and still be a spiritual master?" He then reminded me that the road to Jesus comes through suffering. Oh that's right. I poured the cream.

3 comments:

soebeck said...

I swear I have checked your blog like infinity times today, and I have just now seen this post. Considering my life right now, this is a lot to chew on. Nice job homey.

miah said...

umm...how often do you "have breakfast" or "conversations" with these "friends"?

Lowery said...

I'm not sure how often you have these conversations...but keep them coming. This was a solid post. Loved it.