Friday, November 04, 2005

Evidences of the Soul

"What a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of a man he is." C.S.L

Do you ever find yourself blindsided by people/conversations that you are totally not prepared to handle? The last 2 days, I feel like I have been in a demolition derby of the soul. Without exageration, I have had 3 emotionally charged conversations with individuals that has left me feeling like I have been kicked by a mule. In each of these situations, I found myself trying to talk to individuals that refused to listen. I do not mean that they refused to see my point of view, I mean that they would not even let my point of view be explained without interjecting their own opinions.

I wish I could say that I handled all of these situations with the same grace as the Master but I didn't. When I get upset, I begin to shake. When I begin to shake, I know that I have a couple of seconds before I just let loose on someone. I am not proud of this characteristic, I am merely stating that this is a fact that I know about myself.

In all 3 situations, I basically had to walk away from the conversation before I lost my cool. In fact, I actually had to hang up on a parent that was upset about their child not getting selected for a particular Week of E3 trip (don't ask).

As I sit back and think about each of these situations, I wonder if there is anything that I could have done differently. I also wonder if there is something in me that needs to change the way I talk to people. I know that conflict is inevitable and I know that there are some people who refuse to look at any issue from any point other than their own. I just know that I never want to be that person. May God help me to be like Jesus...even when I deal with difficult people.

3 comments:

A boy named Toadie said...

Brilliant! I think I would probably have less conflict if I just started playing with my belly. I would probably have less conversations as a whole.

Anonymous said...

yea, i know what you mean dude...thats why i am glad i am a shammaite pharisee. if they dont see it my way i kill them. thank you N T Wright on your new perspective on Paul.

A boy named Toadie said...

Jackaway--I was going to disagree with you but then I started to get paranoid that you would wax me right here in my office and then you would take over my job.

Kellie--I'm not too familiar with the story you are referencing. Please tell me more.