Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Longing for God

I have been thinking a lot about "devotions" lately--those moments that we spend in communion with God. Is there a better descriptive word or phrase for this time? I don't really like the concept of "quiet time" (I think it falls short of what God is hoping happens in these ordained moments), the concept of "devotions" sounds like something that one does simply out of duty. "Communion" come close to what actually takes place when we pay special attention to God and He fills our soul with His Spirit but I think most people would not fully understand what I am referring to if I just threw around the concept of Communion.

Maybe I'm just chasing a white rabbit or have had too many cold ones with The Monkey but I can't shake my thoughts in wondering if there is a better nuance that captures more adequately the kind of interaction that God desires to have with us in those moments when we meet together? My thinking was trigured by a quote I read in a book on worship in the New Testament. The author writes, "Prayer was not only an important part of Jesus' life: It was His life, the very breath of His being." This is what I want and what I want to articulate when I talk about moments that are intentionally focused upon God.

As I read these words, I feel moved to draw a little closer to God. I feel a great desire to be more reliant upon God to be my life source. Even as I type these words I sense there is something longing in my soul to be united with God--but the words fall short of anything close to the actual desires within me.

Maybe I should just call it Worship and leave it at that.

5 comments:

miah said...

i prefer "prayer and a pint." seems to fit my routine fairly well.

A boy named Toadie said...

Miah -I never know what to say to your comments. I simply miss you.

Kellie--I can't agree more with you about how our terminology influences our actions. As Don Green used to say in class, "Poor terminology will lead to poor theology."

What do you think about your friends' usage of the phrase, "hanging out with God"? In some ways it sounds like an intimate meeting that is very descriptive but could encourage a whimsical view of God. I would never critic someone's description for their time of God due to the personal nature of the subject but I would struggle with making that my own description. What do you personally think?

A boy named Toadie said...

Kellie --Good thoughts here. You articulated well what I have been stabbing at in the dark. I appreciate what you said when you wrote, "Words are funny..kind of reflexive, both influencing us and influenced by our context. Perhaps that is why our growth is both mirrored and influenced by them."

I wish more communicators would reflect upon this thought.

W. Wilson said...

"worship" conjures an image that i feel best describes moments such as the ones you are talking about. i feel the same way about "quiet time" and "devotion." 90% of the time, those phrases hardly ever exit my mouth in the context of spending time with our Lord. Just ask Brooks about the comical situation i had with the leadership team at my church during my hiring interview when they asked if i have a daily quiet time... i drove them nuts because all they wanted to hear was yes, yet i gave them a 5 minute theology perspective on "what is quiet time?"

i believe our lives should be a continual act of worship... through thought, action, words, service, and many other facets. i wish the word worship wasn't so intwined with the concept of singing songs. but i think you are hitting on a good idea and i tend to believe it suits my pursuit of our Lord in those special moments in a more accurate way

W. Wilson said...

oops, i meant to say in that previoius comment that i feel the same way you do about the phrases, "quiet time" and "devotion." it seems as though that i have forgotten all those hard lessons Mrs. Shaw taught me on going back to read over everything before i turn in an assignment!