
We are going to the World Series. I still can't believe it. If I would have woken up with my head sewed to the carpet, I wouldn't be any more surprised than I am now about this turn in events.
If you remember, all the "experts" were saying that we wouldn't even make it into the playoffs and that we were going to suffer the greatest single season calopse of all time.
Last night was an incredible game. When Rolen's homerun was caught by Chavez, I thought that we had missed our chance. The fact that Rolen threw the ball into the stands in the bottom of the inning didn't make me feel any better.
Here's some people I have to tip my cap to:
1) John Smoltz. If he hadn't beat the Astros on the last day of the season, we might not be here right now.
2). Molina came up big. He seems to bat better when something is at stake. Right before he came to the plate I was secretly hoping that they would pench hit for him.
3) Suppan pitched his butt off. Five hits in 16 innings is better than I can even dream. Way to go Sup.
4) Albert Pujols may not have come through in this series but he is still the guy who got us here. What is all this talk about him being a jerk all of the sudden?
14 comments:
What a game!! I thought that Wainwright was gonna blow it, but that curveball saved him every time.
The drama at the end was awesome. Bases loaded, two outs, Carlos Beltran --Cardinal Killer-- up to the plate and he strikes him out looking. Those kinds of at bats are why you watch the game.
I didn't know anyone was calling Pujols a jerk, what's that about? Man, the game was incredible. Nobody should ever say that LaRussa can't manage. Good grief, every string he pulled was the right one this series!
i'm going to the world series. look for me on (God, help us) fox on thursday night!
i will push back on you there Soebeck--I am not sure that LaRussa pulling Carpenter in game 6 of this series was the wisest plan. I think the Cards could have won it two nights ago if it wasn't for that move.
i will push back on you there Soebeck--I am not sure that LaRussa pulling Carpenter in game 6 of this series was the wisest plan. I think the Cards could have won it two nights ago if it wasn't for that move.
Jon --I was really nervous about that last at bat. Beltran was the last guy I wanted to see at the plate.
SoeBeck --I'm not sure what the whole Pujols/jerk thing is all about. I saw refrences to this at stltoday.com, the sports guy and cbssportsline. I think they are all New York reporters who were asking stupid questions that Pujols got tired of answering.
Gentry --Are you going with your Grandpa? I hope it is a magical night.
Jackaway --I kicked LaRussa's decision about pulling Carpenter (especially since we scored 2 in the 9th). However, at the time we were down by two runs. No one knew that we would score 2 runs in the 9th.
I am curious about what LaRussa sees in Wilson (especially in the #2 slot). I know the guy has some pop and that the #2 guy should see a lot of fastballs batting in front of Pujols but the guy is feast or famine. That's rough to have in a #2 hitter.
unfortunately i'm not going with my papa. i'm going with simkins instead. we're hitting busch, lcc and chicago. it's like an extended version of the trip i took last year.
for the record, i would rather see little dunc in the lineup a little more often than p wilson and i think the decision to remove carpenter was the correct one. down 2 runs that late in the game you've got to try to score some runs. that being said, i don't think hancock was the right piece to play after removing carp. i think kinney would have made more sense - though he was probably trying to save him for game 7.
if we never see thompson or looper (my least favorite signing of jock's tenure) trot out of the bullpen again, i could die a happy man.
go cards.
Amazing night. Amazing game. Most baffling season ever, really. But I will take it. I pretty much wet myself many times over. Just being honest.
Note - they're calling Pujols a jerk for his comments concerning Glavine earlier in the series. Pujols said he didn't think Glavine was all that great and that he certainly didn't pitch as well as folks said he did in Game 1. He's taken quite a bit of slack for that and people won't let it go. Frankly, Glavine didn't pitch well and we chased after everything under the sun that night. Pujols was right, but the quotes made him look like a sore loser according the sports pundits. So, that's the deal on the complaints.
Since we are pushing, chasing everything under the sun is a sign that the pitcher is owning.
True. True. Here's how I would put it - he was owning us without his best stuff.
Jackaway - You know, I didn't bat an eye when they pulled carp. We were down, we needed to catch up. I thought it was more important to try and catch up, then leave carp in.
Lowery - That is what they were mad about? Glavine really wasn't that great that night. I took those comments as Pujols was disappointed that Glavine wasn't his sharpest, and the birds didn't capitalize. I guess I am a STL homer.
i actually wouldn't mind if pujols was a little more of a jackass from time to time. one of the only things that annoys me about the cardinals is that the players are expected to act like characters in a capra film and our fans are often waaay too nice. the prime example of this would be the way all of the fans were sweet and hospitable to sox fans during the world series and then actually applauded when they swept the thing in four. i'm not saying they should have mercilessly ridiculed sox fans like fenway folk smear yankees fans nor started "red sox suck" chants intermittently throughout the game. but they should have been giving sox fans plenty of attitude every time they stood up to cheer and mug for the fox cameras and they should have thrown any kind of debris they could get their hands on and littered the air with virulence in an attempt to wreck that awful fever pitch scene that the dirty republican owners allowed to be filmed on the field after the sox victory.
i know being nice is a midwestern institution, but we could do with a little more attitude and a lot more edge. where are the cardinals fans who dumped beer on jeffrey leonard in '87 or the bleacher creachers who mercilessly rode tony gwynn all throughout the '96 divisional series? i hope these folks show up for the world series. when you're scrapping and clawing for your life, being nice just doesn't cut it.
of course, that's only my opinion. i could be wrong.
are people still watching baseball? it's football season. duh.
Post a Comment