This morning I called this professor of missions at a "Bible Collge" near a city where I will be going in the near future to throw out the possibility of talking to his students about Bible Translation. As it turns out, they are all for letting missions organizations come to their campus as long as they are pre-millennial, baptist (not Southern Baptist or American), belong to the Mission Federation and have the approval of the school's president.
Me: "Mission Federation, what's that?
Prof. M: Its an organization of independent baptists who send out missionaries.
Me: "We belong to the Independent Christian Church and Churches of Christ...."
Prof. M: "I don't think you would be welcome on our campus."
So, that's it. That is as far as I got into the conversation because of our name. Wow! I think that is the fastest I have ever been shut down since the time I talked to that non-instrumental church about Operation HEAVEN coming to their church. Sorry for the weird post. I just needed to vent about some of the interesting institutions I have come in contact today. I'm having a hard time trying to place how they fit into the Kingdom. How do you accept a brother who is so unaccepting? In the long run, the guy probably saved us all some time due to our...I guess differences. We never made it that far into the conversation.
This wouldn't have been to bad if the next school's website says on the admissions' page that degrees for leadership within the church will only be given out to men, we will preach exclusively what the Bible speaks and will not speak on issues that the Bible is silent." and yada, yada, yada.
Can a Christian brother get some grace?
Maybe not....unless you are pre-millennial, baptist and approved by Dr. Anderson...and then maybe.
Monday, October 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Don't worry. I just spoke with God and he said they're going to hell.
But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Phil. 1:18
TWH, that's a great reminder that is truly what is important.
Except they wouldn't let Nathan do it.
Miah--Bless your pointed little head. I'm glad to see prophecy is still a point of your heresy.
Kellie --Thanks for the info. That sounds like a fascinating thing to look at.
TWH--I appreciate your gentle reminder in a manner consistent with scripture. I wish my words were more filled with the words of God. Thank you for this.
james ault is the guy's name and i'll mail the book to you if you want to read it...if, and only if, you post a link to the bible collge's site.
Gentry--tempting but I need to respectfully decline.
Growing up in the Christian Churches myself, I learned growing up that there were nominal "Christians" and then then the real ones: you know, us.
It IS kinda cool and stuff, being the elite, so I can sort of identify with these people.
I'd be interested to know if that concept still prevails with anyone influentially at LCC, or what's happened with that whole thing. My guess is things have changed markedly in the last 10-20 years, but I'm not in the know...
Brant
Brant --even though LCC constituents are primarily from the Churches of Christ and Christian Churches, we also have 9 other denominations represented in our student body. I never got the sense that anyone had the idea that we "were the only Christians." I think our prayer is that we can stay true to our Restoration roots and say that "we are Christians only, not the only Christians."
Wow. I guess I was paying attention during History of the Restoration Movement.
Gotcha. I know that's the Restoration credo -- wait, not credo -- saying, and I always thought that was cool.
I can tell you, though, growing up (btw, my father and brother went to LCC) that the prevailing attitude, at least at the rural-church level, was that yes, pretty much, we are the only Christians.
We didn't think it was IMPOSSIBLE for someone to be a Christian and go to a Baptist church, for instance, but it was a heck of a lot more dicey, what with people getting baptized for the wrong reasons and not taking communion every Sunday morning.
We tsk-tsked community worship gatherings, but we did get together with other Christian Churches every 5th Sunday for a "Rally" that featured some pretty dang good brownies.
Anyway, it's cool to hear that's not really even in the vestigial, institutional memory. I think times have changed.
Brant
Post a Comment