Monday, March 17, 2008

A Day in the Life of the Midwestern Monk...


Sometimes I feel like I have a front row seat to God’s global symphony. Time after time, I get to sit back and watch God orchestrate the most fascinating stories in the most fascinating ways that one could ever imagine. Friday was one of those days that I have to put into words or I will simply forget about it.

7:49am I decide to turn off “Mike & Mike in the Morning” to take in the beautiful sunrise and pray about the things that are in store for me on this day.
7:56am I almost get hit by a crazy driver who is talking on his cell phone….maybe this isn’t going to be a wonderful day.
8:25am I get e-mail from a recruit in Missouri who says that he would love to do Bible Translation but he wants to do a ministry that involves people and church planting.
8:28am I chuckle as I write e-mail to the recruit in Missouri explaining how Bible Translation is all about working with people and doing church planting.
8:29-9am I answer recruitment questions from inquirers around the country.

9:01-9:25am My co-workers and I ask God to bring health to our missionaries in North Africa who have been sick. We also pray for God to send us recruits.
9:30 I talk with a nurse from San Antonio about medical missions. As it turns out, she and her fiancé are intrigued by the ministry of translation.
10:10am This nurse asks me to send her an application to become a missionary with PBT.
10:11am I rejoice and thank God for hearing our prayers.
10:30 I work out logistics for a prayer retreat I am putting together for students from Moody Bible Institute and Lincoln Christian College.

11-1:15pm I meet with a missionary couple from Togo who want to work in our missionary care department. As I listen to their work, I sit there amazed by how their vision for helping missionaries is exactly what we need to provide better care and training for all of PBT. God is good!
1:15pm We break for lunch…
1:30pm I get distracted by how the family from Togo could be an asset to our ministry and miss out on lunch.
1:31pm I find brownies in the kitchen.
1:32pm I thank God for Phyllis Angel and her brownines.

1:45pm We get an e-mail from our missionaries in North Africa saying that they are feeling better.
1:46pm I forget to thank God for hearing our prayers.

1:49pm My 2 o’clock appointment is early.

1:50-5:35pm I meet with “John Mark” to talk about his dreams of doing Bible Translation amongst the M---- people of West Africa. As we talk, I find out that this is a people group that Pioneer Bible Translators did a linguistic survey for in 1995. Since that time, we have been praying for God to raise up a Bible Translator to take the Word of God to the M---- people. I sit and wonder, “could this recruit be the fulfillment of those prayers?”
5:35-5:45pm I meet with Greg Pruett to pray for the M---- and “John Mark”. In his prayers, Greg pleads for God to be merciful to the M---- people and asking God if this recruit is the answer to all those prayers.

5:50pm I sit in my office, look up at the pictures of my girls wishing they were here to enjoy this day (Lindsay and the girls are visiting her grandmother in Louisville).

What an amazing God we serve! Thank you all for coming along with us in this incredible journey. We are having the times of our life!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Seriously! Could all of your girls be anymore beautiful!
How are you Toadie??
I heard you were in Joplin back in January. I'm sorry we didn't catch up.
Hope you are doing well! I always appreciate what you have to say.
Sara :)