If you haven't read Dave Burger's post about the kingdom of heaven, I highly recommend it. (http://www.burgerworld.cc/)
As I read this entry, my thoughts drifted to how I demonstrate my own love and passion for God before my daughter. How did your parents or you as a parent help your children see the importance of the Kingdom of God?
No answer is too stupid...well, we all know that isn't true but I really would love to hear the simple and profound ways you install a devotion to God within your children (or how it was installed into you).
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for sharing the post. to answer your question, i learned about the kingdom not only through my parents but through my grandma who started the teaching. she has served people her whole life both in and outside the church. she use to make me go with her on whatever mission she had, such as taking an old man to the store, or fixing dinner for an elderly woman. she goes to our church almost daily to see if there's anything she can help out with. she taught her children that serving others is not one way to live but the only way to live. through her i see the kingdom of God here on earth and i experience the kingdom through her sacraficial actions. she puts loving people above all else and i hope to follow in her foot steps. hope that wasn't a stupid answer.
Kelli-
That wasn't a stupid answer at all. I absolutely love hearing about the heart of your grandma and how she passed it on. I can see the fruit of your grandma's labors in that you have that same kind of servant's heart.
As I think about my own discipleship from my parents, I can vividly remember going with my dad on various visits to shut-ins, nursing homes and the hospital. The place where we lived was a high traffic area for commuters. There were many times when dad would give people all the money hat he had in his pocket in the name of Jesus. I appreciate the reminder of teaching kids service through example. Thank you for sharing this story.
I was just talking to John Luzadder about this topic and he made an interesting observation. John said that most kids have never seen the kingdom of God lived out in front of them. He also noted that if one were to ask those same kids to write down the names of three people of people who they see God working in their lives, the majority of these kids would struggle to come up with one.
I found this to be very profound.
Post a Comment